Methodology in a Research Paper: Nuances of Compiling
Difficulties with methodology are relevant to the modern era when the questions in the scientific and technological revolution are extremely complicated as the importance of tools is sharply increasing. So, in connection with the development of mathematics and cybernetics, a particular class of so-called interdisciplinary ways is born, appearing as cross-cutting in various disciplines. All this requires controlling the cognitive actions and improving own practice from the scholars.
Before embarking on scientific research, students and young scientists should become familiar with its methodology. Complexity, multifaceted nature and interdisciplinary status of science lead to the need for its study in the coordinate system, which is set by different levels of research paper methodology. Everything is important here, namely: the method of problem selection, accumulation, and systematization of facts, history of the author's idea.
Methodology in a research paper combines interscientific and practical statements with issues of an economic, ecological, and humanistic context. For instance, sociology involves the usage of universal logic, philosophy, and particular methodology of a specific theory. That is explained by the vast scope of social studies.
Thus, trying to answer the query, what is a methodology in a research paper, the scholars understand the strategy of academic search, based on the tasks and researching means, program settings, value features, standards, and regulators of the investigated subject. It is associated with a certain level of maturity of the cognitive means of the relevant science, as well as theoretical representation of problems.
Methodology in a Research Paper Definition: Discovering the Notion
The academics define methodology in a research paper as a set of goals, hypotheses, principles, and procedures of a logical organization used in the study of phenomena and the implementation of cognitive activity. It includes:
- Methods as generalized requirements for any processes, indicating the path to truth.
- Theories, i.e., system of generalizations in a particular branch of knowledge.
- Norms are the standards, regulating a certain type of activity on the basis of permission, order or prohibition.
- Concepts mean logically formed general thoughts or representations about a given subject and phenomenon, fixing their traits.
Besides, a lot of experts distinguish the following types of methods section of a research paper according to their content aspect:
- Positivism studies the objects only in terms of their usefulness.
- Dualism is grounded on the assumption that two entities exist in the phenomenon.
- Agnosticism assumes the impossibility of true knowledge in reality.
- Existentialism is based on a priori exaggeration of factual data.
- Materialism is guided by a pragmatic understanding of all events.
- Theology promotes faith in God and the absolute idea.
One of the key elements of any methodology serves the approach. The most common is dialectics as a doctrine of universal connections and patterns of development of being and thinking. It is thanks to it that we know about the unity and struggle of opposites, the transition of quantity to quality and double negation. All the achievements of the past were processed in the form of a dialectical method of cognition, concentrate on the interaction between an external and internal world. Specialists fix the next functions for the methodology:
- Determination of ways for obtaining scientific skills reflecting the dynamics of processes.
- Formation of a special tool, with which a research objective can be achieved.
- Receiving comprehensive information on the studied issue.
- Clarification and systematization of scientific terms.
An investigation involves not only the application of some well-known method but also the creation of new approaches. That is determined by a reasonably clear understanding of the problem essence, the inherent possibilities, and difficulties that need to be overcome.
Writing Methodology in a Research Paper: Tips from Adepts
Numerous rules on how to write methodology in research paper indicate that the methodological basis is described in the introduction to each thesis. This item is mandatory since the choice of methods for conducting any surveys indicates their progress and affects the final outcome. It is the competent selection of adequate and efficient tools that determine the depth of the study, helps to solve the given tasks, and serves as a solid base for achieving the purposes. Let us consider the range of the scientist's means in more detail.
- The analysis offers a subject consideration taking into account its individual properties or attributes
- Synthesis combines individual elements into a single whole
- Analogy emphasizes the similarity of the selected objects within the chosen qualities. For example, science knows that interference and diffraction are inherent for the light. It was previously established that sound has the same properties, which is explained by its wave nature. On the basis of this analogy, a conclusion is made about the wave nature of light
- Abstraction involves the mental separation of essential peculiarities while at the same time distracting from a number of other inner characteristics. So, studying the properties of certain liquids, it was revealed that the latter has elasticity. Grounded on the fact that water and alcohol are liquids, they conclude they have a certain quality
- Induction leads reasoning from the general to the particular sense
- Deduction aids to arrive at conclusions by taking into account a number of particular features. If all metals possess the property of electrical conductivity, then we can presume that copper, in this case, is not an exception
- Classification divides the phenomena into groups according to the chosen indicators
- Observation is based on an objective perception of what is happening in order to obtain certain information
- Measurement proposes accurate calculations and numerical measures
- An experiment consists of testing the studied objects in controlled or specially created conditions
The division of research methods into empirical and theoretical ones is somewhat arbitrary since a lot of ways refer to universal tools for working with a project. The final choice depends on the theme of the dissertation, its aims, and perspectives. Techniques should correspond to the research content and facilitate to obtain the most accurate data on each of them.
Decryption of the parts of methodology in a research paper is not required. You may restrict just a simple enumeration. It is not necessary to write an additional one. An educator can ask where exactly and why they were applied. In each separate scientific field, own means are developed, which is the importance of methodology in a research paper.
Historians refer to the analysis of special literature, publications in periodicals, and archival materials of closed-end funds. Lawyers prefer comparison, typology, and legal forecasting. Psychologists love polls, testing, questioning, projective method, quantification, and psychodiagnostics. Biology resorts to genealogy and biochemistry, whereas physicians use laboratory, functional, and structural diagnostics. The results of any study carried out are documented in writing. Only after a thorough evaluation of the findings, your conclusions can be used in practice.
Thus, no matter what experimental methods are used, they cannot be considered in isolation from general or special research methodology in a research paper. That means that any investigation technique is always applied in a certain methodological manner.